History Of Kress
Edward (Ted) Kress' father, Ralph Kress, was a driving force behind the off-road hauler businesses of Dart, LeTourneau-Westinghouse (WABCO) and Caterpillar. Much earlier, the Kress Brothers Carriage Company was in business from 1870 to 1928. They began building fire trucks in 1896. The first ever motorized fire truck was built for Springfield, Mass. in 1896. Kress supplied most of the fire trucks to the New York City Fire Department in the first two decades of the century. Ted himself was a student engineer at Dart in 1952, where he designed the front end of the 35-ton Dart hauler.
In October of 1965, Ted formed the Slagaway Corporation. In 1968, he changed the name of the company to the Kress Corporation. Kress made its first contribution to the mobile equipment industry with a slag pot carrier for the Edward C. Levy Company. The carrier picked up, transferred, poured and skulled slag pots from the Great Lakes 300 ton BOF furnaces. It was an immediate success and within a few months there was an order for ten more carriers.
The company's next contribution was a slab carrier, the first of its kind, for the Ford Motor steel plant. It picked up and carried 100 tons of steel slabs and coils.
Kress Corporation then built its first coal hauler in 1971. A single unit, bottom dump, coal hauler. Again, the first of its kind. Built for the Captain Mine of Southwestern Illinois Coal Corporation.